[Gambas-user] controlling VLC via a virtual terminal...

Stephen Bungay sbungay at ...981...
Sun Aug 21 19:40:58 CEST 2011

   Hi folks!
      I cant seem to send commands to VLC through it's remote control
interface when started using SHELL.

Gambas 2.23

ShellString = "vlc --intf rc --video-title " & psPlayerTitle & " " &
psFileName
mpProcessHandle = SHELL ShellString FOR READ WRITE AS "VLC"

   VLC starts up in remote control mode properly (the app reads the
startup messages and prints them so that I can verify remote control
interface, so I know it is ready to accept commands.  If it was in a
'real' console one could type 'shutdown', for example (less the quotes
of course) and VLC would kill itself. But when I put a button on the
form and set a property to the value 'shutdown', then call a sub from
the property assignment in order to send the message to the process like
this;

PRINT #mpProcessHandle, Value

   Nothing happens, except that I might start to get lots of binary data
streaming into the GAMBAS IDE console pane.

   Anyone got any ideas? I can attach the source package (it is small)
if anyone would like to take a look.

Regards
Steve.