[Gambas-user] Base 64 question

Caveat Gambas at ...1950...
Thu Apr 28 02:40:57 CEST 2011

Hi Richard,

I don't know of any base64 decode function in Gambas, but then I didn't
look that hard ;-)

There are various different flavours of base64, so be sure you know
which variant you're dealing with.

I enclose with this mail a source archive of a little project I've put
together (sorry, it's Gambas2, hope that's OK) that demonstrates
decoding (and encoding) of base64 data.  I found the information on how
to put together the encode and decode algorithms here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64

There's also a reference to base64 in Gambas here:
http://www.gambasforum.com/index.php?topic=330.0
The algorithms given in those code snippets could well be far more
efficient than mine.

My Base64 Project
-----------------
First thing to try is just hit the Encode button, it should convert the
text in the top textarea into base64 and place the result in the lower
textarea. Generally, if the In textbox is blank, the input for Encode or
Decode will be the upper textarea, and if the Out textbox is blank, the
output of the Encode or Decode will be shown in the lower textarea.  To
encode binary data, you'll need to use a file as input, so use the In
textbox to specify the file name.  To decode base64 that represents
binary data, you'll need to use a file as output, so use the Out textbox
to specify the output file name.

You can try out binary to base64 using fluffy.jpg (shipped with the
project) as your In file.

To test round-trip (so start with a binary, encode it to base64, then
decode the base64 data to make an identical binary)... enter fluffy.jpg
in the In textbox, blank the Out textbox, hit Encode.  In the lower
textarea Select All, Copy... then in the upper textarea Paste.  Now
clear the In textbox and enter coffee.jpg in the Out textbox.  Hit
Decode.  You *should* find a new file in your Base64 project directory
called coffee.jpg, and it *should* be identical to the fluffy.jpg
shipped with the project.

I'm not convinced that my completely untuned, horribly inefficient
algorithms in Gambas will be the best way to go if speed is of the
essence or if the pdf files are gonna be more than a few 100 kbs... you
might find it quicker/more robust to call out to a built-in function in
java/python/some other program...

Anyways, all the (commented) source is there for you to see/fiddle
with...so have fun, but if you have any questions, just give me a shout.

Regards,
Caveat