[Gambas-user] Potentially difficult to find error in the IDE

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Sat Apr 16 09:05:18 CEST 2011

Hi Benoit,

This could be difficult to trace for a user:

This scenario

I had a form, to which at run time, I added a combo box (ie the combo not put
on the form in the IDE) and I'd put it in the declarations section at the top.

I then changed my mind, and decided I'd put it on the form in the IDE, but as
I'd written the code for this module 18 months ago, I'd forgotten I'd
originally declared it in code.

When the project ran (of course it wouldn't) the execution stopped at the very
last line in the file, not giving a visible error message, but after doing this
several time I noticed a quick flash of a message saying 'cmbTemplates already
in form definition... or similar). Searching for it, I then found the text at
the very top of my declaration section.

Had I not gimpsed the flash of the error message, I would have continued to be
puzzled - I had by the way, searched the entire program for the offending text
and for some reason the search hadn't picked it up in the declarations
section.

Regards

Richard