[Gambas-user] using a "file system database"

Caveat Gambas at ...1950...
Fri Apr 15 10:33:03 CEST 2011

Hi Kevin
If you can find a way to talk to this database, it could provide just
what you're looking for in terms of speed:

http://hsqldb.org/

It's a SQL database, but it can be run entirely in RAM.  I've used it
before (although I don't recall using it from Gambas...yet!) and it's an
amazing piece of work.

4M files sounds like a LOT of files, so it worries me that it'll prove
too slow.  I'm not convinced that using the file system would be any
faster than using a 'proper' database.

If you do go the fs route, there's some discussion here:
http://fixunix.com/ubuntu/356538-filesystem-lots-small-files.html which
may help.

Regards,
Caveat