[Gambas-user] How to find out internet status

Sun Apr 3 13:00:52 CEST 2011

Il 03/04/2011 11:31, Ganesh Kumar ha scritto:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am new to Gambas with  networking field. I want find out internet
> connection in
> my system or NOT.
> I don't use ping command.
>
> ping www.yahoo.com its pinging...yes internet connection is there is
> working fine.
>
> one day yahoo server is down.. How to find out..try another website..
> Its not a correct method.
> any other method will be there.. please help me..

The problem is that to see if an internet connection is working is not
so simple. You can have a working connection, but with misconfigured
name resolvers: "ping www.yahoo.com" would not work. Or you can have
everything good, but your firewall does not allow ping (or the remote
server does not replies to ping's). Or you can have everything good, but
for a few moments some under-ocean connection is down, so neither
yahoo.com and microsoft.com work...

To look at your modem to see if the ADSL is up, just tells you if your
modem is up. To look for www.yahoo.com is something more, but not with
ping. Probably you should try port 80 (http, perhaps using wget(1)) of
several (3 or 4, for example) servers aound the world. If one of them
replies, then your internet connection is ok. If none replies, still
your connection could be ok, but nevertheless your internet experience
would be handicapped, so you can assume that the connection is broken.

This is just an idea, probably more phylosophical than scientific! I
hope it can help.

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."