[Gambas-user] Gambas and the andlinux project

Fri Apr 1 17:14:36 CEST 2011

admhardsoft at ...253... ha scritto:
> Hi somebody in this list have experience working with andlinux proyect for windows? If yes somebody can tell me where andlinux store the programs that you install in your pc? In special a DB in mysql, somebody can help me?
> Thanks
> Sincerely
> Tomas

Andlinux (at least the old version I use) stores its filesystems in big
files on the host OS. On my computer, in f:\andlinux\drives\ I have two
files, "base.drv" (2Gib) and "swap.drv" (256Mib). I think they are no
more than a "file version" of a disk partition, having nothing else than
the raw cylinders/sectors one after each other, but I am not sure about
this.

Anyway, consider two things. First, those files should be considered as
black boxes - leave them alone. Second, even if you could peek/poke
inside them, still you have to cope with the files generated by mysql,
which again should be considered black boxes. For the first problem,
note that andlinux can mount windoze partitions (even usb sticks, and
CDs - not sure about SMB shares, which can be mounted anyway from linux
bypassing windows). For the second problem (accessing mysql files), you
can rely on mysql_xxx commands to do whatever you want. If you really
want to share the same data, store the databases in a partition visible
from both windows and andlinux. It could work, especially if the mysql
server version of both computers is the same - but don't run the two
servers at the same time :-)

Or, and I think it is the best, you run only one server, either on win
or linux, and access it using TCP/IP (andlinux and the windows host
communicate over TCP/IP as they were two different machines).

Hope everything is clear,
regards,
Doriano