[Gambas-user] gambas 3 release or otherwise as binary package

riri girardhenri at ...67...
Mon Sep 20 08:17:30 CEST 2010

A binary (deb) package would be a great thing ! Actually I compiled gambas3
on ubuntu 10.4.1 perfect ... But having updated to maverick brings a lot of
problems... I didn't success to compile it anymore !
Henri

-----Message d'origine-----
From: Dag Jarle Johansen
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 4:48 AM
To: mailing list for gambas users
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] gambas 3 release or otherwise as binary package

Am Freitag, den 17.09.2010, 02:09 +0200 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

> > Benoit,
> >
> > do you have a plan on when gambas 3 will be formally released?
> > IMHO it is quite stable now.
> >
> > The reason I ask is Richard and I are within sight of releasing a
> > stable version of our software, and we would like to submit it to
> > Debian/Ubuntu/fedora etc for inclusion, but it would depend on the
> > gambas3 runtime.
> >
> > If you don't plan to release in the next 6 months or so, would you
> > have any objection to a me developing .deb's for the gambas3 runtime
> > which would be relased at regular intervals, tracking the latest stable
> > SVN
> > version?
> >
> > Ian
> >

> I want to make at least a first release candidate before the end of the
> year.
>
> I'm currently only fixing bug. I know that Fabien must make a usable
> gb.report
> component and Laurent has just added a few things in gb.sdl recently.
>
> Before doing the RC (2.99.1), I have to think a bit to see what must be
> changed in the language syntax to be sure that Gambas 3 will be stable
> until
> the next version.
>
> I have to check all components:
> - A component that is not maintained anymore should be removed.
> - A component, like gb.firebird, that do not have actually a
> GPL-compatible
> license should be removed as well.
> - The state of component must be up to date too (stable, not finished,
> beta).
>
> Just after the RC, there are a lot of things to do, besides bug fixing:
>
> - I want to have a bug tracker. I have setup the Google one, but it is not
> activated yet.
>
> - Everybody should try to ensure that his distribution will have correct
> packages of Gambas.
>
> - I'd like to have another look for the web site.
>
> - I'd like people who converted their Gambas 2 project to Gambas 3 by hand
> write about their experience on a wiki page, so that I will be able to
> make a
> converter helper tool in the IDE.
>
> - I must then write better internal documentation to try to attract
> developers.
>
> So is the plan!

It would be just great, Benoit,

I have to do a lot of programming on Linux-platforms, and as I have to
generate source as well as data-files, Gambas would just be perfect,
much easier than using PHP. I could convince my client to use it too,
not in my first project now, wich has to be completely in PHP, but later
on, and I would see to, you get at last clicks for that.

Not only that, even in our little network in the office, it would be
much easier to use a binary than to install the SVN every time I change
the source. (more or less).  My software is mostly rather easy, just a
picture of the current database (MySQL),

Go on with it - I will be very pleased, when it is published.

Regards,
Dag-Jarle