[Gambas-user] Suggestions 4 new keywords

Fabián Flores Vadell fabianfloresvadell at ...626...
Fri Sep 17 15:07:46 CEST 2010

2010/9/16 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:
> I agree with the word "method," but "public" and "private" comes from the OOP
> world too.

I don' think so. Seems to me that PUBLIC and PRIVATE comes from the
implementation of OOP in languages that want keep back compatibility.
Anyway, the problem is that these two keywords refers to concept
"scope".

> And "interface" has not the same meaning in all OOP languages, so
> it is not necessarily a good idea to use it. Morever, "Interface" is already a
> reserved keyword, because I'd like to implement the "interface" mechanism of
> Java, but I didn't find a good way to make it yet.

Ok, but the concept of "class interface" exists in all OOP languages.
I did not know you had such plans, that seems wonderfull to me.
Anyway, that isn't a problem because is possible to use other keyword
"CLASS INTERFACE" maybe.

>> That can be important. But, is more important that provide keywords
>> closer to OOP?
>>
>> So if you has admited exceptions before. Why you can't do now?
>
> Because these exceptions comes from the syntax of other BASICs. I want the
> inheritance of AMSTRAD-BASIC, GFA-BASIC, and Visual BASIC (The BASICs I used
> mainly!).

But, in this way you will never introduce innovations, even small.

>> May be, you want to do optionals these keywords.
>
> I don't want when the job of the compiler to become too complex. The speed of
> the compiler is a *very* important thing to me, and I spent days to make the
> Gambas 3 compiler twice faster than Gambas 2 compiler.

Oh, great !! I noticed that Gambas 3 works faster than Gambas 2.

> I won't change the syntax of Gambas just before releasing a new version, so
> there is enough time to talk about that before the next one!

Ok, you are the father of the creature :)

--
Fabián Flores Vadell
www.speedbooksargentina.blogspot.com