[Gambas-user] gambas 3 release or otherwise as binary package

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Sep 17 02:09:30 CEST 2010

> Benoit,
>
> do you have a plan on when gambas 3 will be formally released?
> IMHO it is quite stable now.
>
> The reason I ask is Richard and I are within sight of releasing a
> stable version of our software, and we would like to submit it to
> debian/ubuntu/fedora etc for inclusion, but it would depend on the
> gambas3 runtime.
>
> If you don't plan to release in the next 6 months or so, would you
> have any objection to a me developing .deb's for the gambas3 runtime
> which would be relased at regular intervals, tracking the latest stable SVN
> version?
>
> Ian

I want to make at least a first release candidate before the end of the year.

I'm currently only fixing bug. I know that Fabien must make a usable gb.report
component and Laurent has just added a few things in gb.sdl recently.

Before doing the RC (2.99.1), I have to think a bit to see what must be
changed in the language syntax to be sure that Gambas 3 will be stable until
the next version.

I have to check all components:
- A component that is not maintained anymore should be removed.
- A component, like gb.firebird, that do not have actually a GPL-compatible
license should be removed as well.
- The state of component must be up to date too (stable, not finished, beta).

Just after the RC, there are a lot of things to do, besides bug fixing:

- I want to have a bug tracker. I have setup the Google one, but it is not
activated yet.

- Everybody should try to ensure that his distribution will have correct
packages of Gambas.

- I'd like to have another look for the web site.

- I'd like people who converted their Gambas 2 project to Gambas 3 by hand to
write about their experience on a wiki page, so that I will be able to make a
converter helper tool in the IDE.

- I must then write better internal documentation to try to attract
developers.

So is the plan!

--
Benoît Minisini