[Gambas-user] someshort="xy" returns "Wanted short, got string instead"

kevinfishburne kevinfishburne at ...1887...
Wed Sep 15 08:44:27 CEST 2010

I can say, somebyte=ASC("x"), but is it possible to quickly assign a two-byte
string to a typical two-byte short?

I'm sure this can be done with some lengthy function but (as most
programmers should) I have a need for efficiency. I'm not concerned with
character set mishaps for people with different language settings, as the
app will be virtualized in a strict environment.

Also in general I am extremely interested in how to quickly assign values
from one datatype to a different one. Does GAMBAS have a convention for this
outside of functions like ASC?

-----
Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...1887... sales at ...1887...
phone: (770) 853-6271