[Gambas-user] Database Results

tobias tobiasboe1 at ...20...
Sat Sep 11 20:18:29 CEST 2010

hello mailing list,

i am absolutely new to databases in general and so to databases in
gambas, too. i plan to use sqlite3 and in general i am understanding the
related stuff part by part but it is very confusing with the different
classes and i think this complicates my learning process.
but to my questions now. i want to make a database table just in memory
to get me a bit closer to this all:

hConnection = NEW Connection
hConnection.Type = "sqlite3"
hConnection.Open()
hTable = hConnection.Tables.Add("test")
hTable.Fields.Add("id", db.Serial)
hTable.Fields.Add("name", db.String)
hTable.PrimaryKey = ["id"]
hTable.Update()
hResult = hConnection.Create("test")

and in the following i want to add three names to the database and then
hResult.Update() them, but how do i create more records than one? (i
used hResult["name"] = "tobi" to create the first, this works)

the next question.
i got a result from a database with some records predefined (fields are
id (serial) and name (string)):

hResult = hConnection.Exec("select * from test")

in a for loop i go through all the records by doing:

FOR iCount = 0 TO hResult.Count - 1 STEP 1
  hResult.MoveTo(iCount)
  FOR EACH hField IN hResult.Fields
    TextArea1.Insert(hResult[hField.Name])
  NEXT
  TextArea1.Insert("\n")
 NEXT

which works also fine but i really don't like the hResult.MoveTo() part
of this code, isn't there any way to handle this result simply as an
array? this would solve both problems and i could do database stuff with
ease?

regards, tobi