[Gambas-user] Can you put a big box into a small one?

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Sep 4 02:25:07 CEST 2010

> 2010/9/2 richard terry <rterry at ...1946...>:
>
> Thanks Richard. I agree with your arguments about Gambas. Is a great tool.
>
> I'm writing examples and small proyects to use them in the docs I'm
> writing. Now I writing a graphic control, and I find that constraint.
> I hope that now, you can understand that I'm referring to that
> constraint make not sense for me when I'm programming.
>
> A control whose dimensions are greater than those of its container is
> only possible as a temporal (transitional) state. In most cases that
> state can't be showed to the user.

Controls are always clipped by their container, because they are windows
inside windows, and this is how X-Window works.

*But* (there is always a *but*), now QT4 and GTK+ do not create one window for
each control. They manage the imbrication internally. So technically they can
make a control draw outside of its frame. But this is generally avoided.

Benoît Minisini