[Gambas-user] Can you put a big box into a small one?

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Fri Sep 3 00:26:04 CEST 2010

On Friday 03 September 2010 08:00:23 Fabián Flores Vadell wrote:
> I found that isn't possible set the width of a control to be higher
> than the width of its container. That's right? If so, this analogy of
> a physical constraint make not sense to me. Why the behaviour of a
> control follow this physical analogy?

What programming env are you coming from out of interest, and what are you
trying to design?

Most situations you wouldn't want that conrols heigher than their physical
container - harder for the user to use, however if you do need such a thing
take a look at the scroll panel, and let us know what you are trying to
acheive and most people on the list are more than willing to help, especially
if you send in your project zipped for us to run.

Don't know how long you've been programming in gambas, but in my experience,
having been programming (non professionally I would hasten to add)  since the
early 1980's, and having programmed in Assembler, various windows gui
languages, visual basic, python, wxPython, trips into Java, QT designer, I've
found the gambas IDE and language to be one of the simplest and easiest to use
fo all the IDE's I've ever encountered.

My advice would be don't use GTK, use the QT side of gambas and let it the IDE
do all the work for you. Steer clear of sticking things on panels, always use
Vbox and Hbox or splits as containers.

I've hundreds of forms and modules in my current project linking to a postgres
backend with over 30 schemas and hundreds of tables and views and it all works
like a charm.

REgards

RIcahrd