[Gambas-user] Project - Make ...

Sun Nov 14 10:46:37 CET 2010

NW ha scritto:
> Can anyone help me with the difference between Project --> Make --> Source Archive and Project --> Make --> Installation Package please? I think that the installation package is aimed at setting up a usable Gambas program for someone who does not have Gambas installed. Is that correct?
>
> If so, what is the purpose of source archive?  I have done some research via Google but am more confused than before.

"Make installation package" builds an installable package of the program
binaries; so you can distribuite your program (without sources). After
you build, say, an RPM package, you can install your program on any
machine having RPM system using "rpm -i blahblahblah" - even the
dependencies are taken in account.

"Make source archive" does what its name implies: an archive (.tar.gz)
containing the source of the program. It is useful for doing backups or
share your sources with other people (you can see often in this list
someone who attaches an archive to show others what the problem is:
"send me your project" - "I attach a project which ...").
When you have an archive like this, "mytestproject-0.0.1.tar.gz", you
extract it somewhere, and then you can open the project in the gambas IDE.

An installation package lets you run the program, but not to see/modify
its internals; a source archive (or tarball) contains everything needed
to revise, modify and compile the program, provided you have the needed
tools (gambas compiler).

More about the source archive. As far as I know, gambas is the only one
IDE which has a similar feature. Differently from other languages, it is
not so clear what the various files in a project directory do. If one
wanted to manually copy "the sources", he should try to analyze the
single files (some of them are hidden) to decide what to include in the
archive and what to exclude. The "Make source archive" function takes
care of this: who, if not gambas itself, knows better what is part of
the source and what is not?

Hope this is clear,
regards,

--
Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."