[Gambas-user] Too many open files error message

Rolf Schmidt rolf.frogs at ...221...
Tue May 4 14:25:49 CEST 2010

Hi Richard

> This routine is called by my program, consecutively a large number of times
> during an automated process:
>
> Public Sub Display_HTML(sHTML As String, wb As WebView, Optional prefix As
> String = "html")
>
>   Dim wFile As File
>   Dim sFilename As String
>
>   sFilename = Temp$(prefix) & ".html"
>   wfile = Open sFilename For Write Create
>   Print #wfile, sHTML
>   Close #wfile
>   wb.url = sFilename
> End
>
> the temp file is opened-closed.
>
> Yet at a certain point gambas comes up with an error 24: too many opened
> files. Does this mean the temp-file quota has somehow been exceeded?

The amount of file handles is (also) limited by the kernel. But - if you
compile your own kernel, you can increase the number of files which can be
open -or keep a more clean open/close strategie.

Hope that helps
Rolf