[Gambas-user] My first attempt at making a control - some questions

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Thu Mar 11 13:15:12 CET 2010

I  decided tonight to make a little control - something simple, a vbox,
containing a picturebox, underneath that a hbox with label, textbox and
checkbox.

I've read the doc's on the website and have had a modicum of success in that
I've. I wanted a compound control because I'm writing a section in my program
where I allocate scanned documents to a patients file, and wanted to be able
to join multiple pages sometimes into a single pdf file.

I needed to be able to display the thumbs of the first page of the pdf, 4-6 to
a page, and under each picture, needed the textbox.

So far so good, my control sort-of works. I enclose the code for anyone who
knows about this to comment on, but I've a couple of questions.:

When I compiled it to an exe > saved it to

/home/richard/pdfpreview as pdfpreview.gambas.

It was then available as a component to the project I wrote it in as a control
(without an icon).

The docs say that for gamabs3 - you need a .hidden/control directory, and to
put the icon in there with the same name as the control. eg pdfpreview.png, I
did this and the icon is under the sources dir. This dosn't appear in the
toolbox. However if you re-compile the control it does - maybe common sense,
but should be mentioned in the docs.

I don't understand this:
"You can install the component in your home directory by checking the
corresponding option in the "Make executable" dialog.
Once installed there, the component will be visible in the "Components" tab of
the project property dialog as any other globally installed components.
To uninstall the component from your home directory, just uncheck the option
in the "Make executable" dialog, and make the executable again. "

Why the 'home directory', does this mean just /richard/home, if so why there?
It is stated that this:
PUBLIC CONST _DrawWith AS String = "TextBox"

will cause the control to be used to draw with in the ide. ?what does one
replace the "textbox" with , the name of your control?

Also I did do the above, and nothing happens, still uses the drawing area.
Also I wanted a double click event on the picturebox, there is an example of a
click event which i've used, but couldn't figure out the double click.
Lastly, as the control is in /home/richard/pdfpreview, but appears in my
project which is an svn project living in another directory, what happens if
someone else checks out the svn - how to they get hold of the control?

all in all, interesting experience,

Thanks for any help.