[Gambas-user] TreeView.Count value differs using qt rather than gtk

Wed Jan 27 10:40:00 CET 2010

Kadaitcha Man ha scritto:
> 2010/1/27 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:
>

> <aside to Doriano>
> Doriano, it isn't personal, squire. I have an exquisite understanding
> of English, which means I can twist it anyway I like :)
>
> Doriano, if you and I misunderstand each other, let's make a genuine
> effort to understand in private instead of on the mailing list.

Dear Kadaitcha,

I must say that I have the same tendency as you - to overspeak. But I
don't have that exquisite understanding of English, and I try to be the
more polite I can. Don't take me wrong, you write in a way that seems
aimed to turn on the reader. You know it better than me: written things,
especially in emails, weight much more than spoken words.

I reply on the list, this time, because it seems appropriate to me. We
made a long, technical discussion, and this is an epilogue. When we will
pull out our hairs each other, then we will use a private thread for sure.

I really didn't want to offend you - I wish I had been more gentle.

To Benoit:
I see your reasons when you speak about "virtual objects", accessible
only in the same statement where they are instantiated (and a WITH
statement is a single, compound statement). I saw them the first time in
Gambas, and I didn't like them as soon as I crashed onto them. Anyway,
this is your choice. Much the same applies to the internal
pointer/iterator of such trees. I use the same concept (because I am
nearly forced) dealing with low-level routines interfacing to GTK
Textbuffer (pascal). First, In GTK you can set up as many iterators you
want; second, a textbuffer is not a tree but a sequence, so they are
very different. I don't like the iterator concept, even if I must admit
that perhaps there is no other better method (considering speed, memory,
and other low-level factors). But when you implemented the Gambas
interface to GTK Textbuffers, you did happily set iterators apart, and
implemented property for line numbers and offsets. The same can be done
for trees, if one wants. The more you abstract from the underlying
toolkits, the more you can have multiple toolkits in gambas (I don't
mean to add other tookits, I mean to make the two toolkits work well and
in a uniform mode). While abstracting, you can choose to present an
interface more or less logic to the programmer. I appreciated your
abstraction of lines/offsets for the GTK Textbuffer because this is far
more easy to use than the iterator model; may be it is slower - but this
perhaps is less important.

Ok, I think this is enough. I promise to stop.

Regards,
Doriano