[Gambas-user] Using an existing component to create a new version

Fri Jan 22 09:54:40 CET 2010

Am 21.01.2010 23:01, schrieb Charlie Reinl:
> Am Donnerstag, den 21.01.2010, 18:19 +0100 schrieb Rolf-Werner Eilert:
>> The balloon component was easy to change and make install. But when I
>> update to another version of Gambas, I will have to make the changes again.
>>
>> So I thought it might be wiser to extract the balloon component into an
>> own project for myself to be there for every new version.
>>
>> After reading the documentation, I did this:
>>
>> - Creating a new project within the IDE for component use named NewBalloon
>>
>> - Importing Balloon.class, FBalloon.class and FBalloon.form as well as
>> the one picture needed from gb.form in the source dir.
>>
>> Within the IDE, Balloon runs well. Now I let it make an executable,
>> checking "Install in the user component directory". However, I don't
>> know where that is. Just pressed the button...
>>
>> No wonder when I opened another project, I couldn't find my NewBalloon
>> in the components list :-)
>>
>> The documentation says: You can install the component in your home
>> directory by checking the corresponding option in the "Make executable"
>> dialog. Once installed there, the component will be visible in the
>> "Components" tab of the project property dialog as any other globally
>> installed components.
>>
>> But nothing is in my home directory.
>>
>> A bit confusion here, just let me know where to store and how. Thanks a lot!
>>
>> Rolf
>>
> Salut Rolf,
>
> Some words about gambas2 user-components :
>
> * user-components are only in the list, if they exists when starting the
> IDE
>
> * user-components should be stored in the 'user component directory' ,
> there (see below) you find links to the files
>
> * If your project moves, you have to delete the 4 links concerned there
> (see below), because and bad MakeLink procedure in the IDE.
>
> The user component directory is :
>
> $~/.local/lib/gambas2 (for every component)
>
> /<component_Name>.component =>  $/path/to/project/.component
>
> /<component_Name>.gambas =>  $/path/to/executable/<component_Name>.gambas
>
> and
>
> $~/.local/share/gambas2/info (for every component)
>
> /<component_Name>.list =>  $/path/to/project/.list
>
> /<component_Name>.info =>  $/path/to/project/.info

Thanks a lot, Charlie, that helped!

Looking up the ./local/lib I found that the IDE had made a link to the
component in the project directory but instead of a NewBalloon.component
it had made a NewBalloon.gambas binary although I definitely had checked
"make component" yesterday. At least this explains why the component
wasn't found.

After explicitly pointing the file dialog of the IDE to ~/.local/lib, it
wrote a NewBalloon.component, and now the component list has two
sections with components, including my own. Oh how proud I am :-)

What came into my mind only now is, I'll have to rename "Balloon" into
somewhat different to not confuse the two versions, right? I guess
Gambas doesn't know overloading, does it.

Regards

Rolf