[Gambas-user] Using an existing component to create a new version

Thu Jan 21 18:19:19 CET 2010

The balloon component was easy to change and make install. But when I
update to another version of Gambas, I will have to make the changes again.

So I thought it might be wiser to extract the balloon component into an
own project for myself to be there for every new version.

After reading the documentation, I did this:

- Creating a new project within the IDE for component use named NewBalloon

- Importing Balloon.class, FBalloon.class and FBalloon.form as well as
the one picture needed from gb.form in the source dir.

Within the IDE, Balloon runs well. Now I let it make an executable,
checking "Install in the user component directory". However, I don't
know where that is. Just pressed the button...

No wonder when I opened another project, I couldn't find my NewBalloon
in the components list :-)

The documentation says: You can install the component in your home
directory by checking the corresponding option in the "Make executable"
dialog. Once installed there, the component will be visible in the
"Components" tab of the project property dialog as any other globally
installed components.

But nothing is in my home directory.

A bit confusion here, just let me know where to store and how. Thanks a lot!

Rolf