[Gambas-user] Gambas3 svn installs now, but won't run

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Jan 20 21:22:47 CET 2010

> Hi Benoit,
>
> I did delete everything, checkout from scratch and start everything again
>  about ten times now. Really boring...

I agree. But it seems you have something really weird in your system
installation. I never encountered a bug in automake.

> There is another small progress: I noticed that the requirements for gb3
>  have changed. Went through the docs and checked every library that is
>  needed. Which is an even more annoying process...
>
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to make a script that checks the current
> requirements, to run *before* all these installation commands, saying "hey,
>  you shouldn't start the installation, because this and that are missing"?
>  Instead of spending hours with deleting, installing, and afterwards
>  searching in the logs for warnings and disabled components.
> Scripts can do that better and faster than human beings.

Maybe. This is what configure does. But in a standard low-level way, which
takes a lot of time, and error messages are mixed with normal ones.

It is difficult to check system packages, because they depend on the
distribution. I have only the time to do that on my own Mandriva.

> Right now (svn version 2621), it's worse than it was before. I don't even
>  have a gambas3 file again.
> After my last tries, I could at least launch gambas3, getting error #27
> "couldn't load gb.qt4.webkit: library can't be found" (if I remember
>  correctly)
>
> Will check the logs again...

You cannot run Gambas if you have an error message somewhere. But you can run
it if you have some components disabled. You need gb.qt4, gb.qt4.ext,
gb.qt4.webkit, gb.desktop to run the IDE (and other components that have no
special requirements).

> btw: I think I could spend some time now helping to improve the German
> translations. There seems to be a lot do do on that. But I don't know who's
> already working on what. If you can need me, just tell me what to do.
>
> Matti

Look in the hall of fame on the web site for the translator names.

Benoît Minisini