[Gambas-user] Distribution

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Feb 1 21:12:32 CET 2010

> hi,
>
> slowly things are getting a bit frustrating.
> I don't think so, but perhaps I have insulted someone? or are my themes
> so less interesting, no one cares to answer? I do not expect that all
> just are waiting for my problems, but absolutly no responce seems a
> little strange.
> I follow the mailing-list all the time; I can see endless discussions
> about the philosophy of tabs, and no one seems to care about problems
> which are essential to get gambas out to the people. not all docs are
> that easy to understand or so complete that one can use them as a
> guideline - perhaps for the one who wrote the doc - not necessarily for
> some others. it is not easy to write docs for a software which is
> permanently developing, clear enough. one of my thoughts was to write
> some examples my self, still want to, but there is a lot to learn first,
> and as gambas develops, changes turns up, so my first attempts got old
> even before I could put them on the net.
>
> nevertheless - I mainly write database-apps, and they are running in one
> or another network. it may be a lokal network or on a database in web
> with an external connection. so I will have to test the apps on several
> computers. and this is getting difficult. on my workstattion, ubuntu
> 9.10, I had no troubles installing gambas 3 SVN. then I tried to make an
> installation-package for ubuntu for my second PC - failed.
>
> is there any place I can find a detailled doc for creating an
> installation package? the problem is, the assistant quits with an
> error-message: failed to create package. period. I would need some more
> info.
>
> thanks and regards,
> Dag Jarle Johansen

Making packages relies on external tools, and things may change from one
distribution version to a next distribution version, and I am not usually
aware of these changes until someone tells that it does not work anymore!

To help you, I need the project you want to package. Then I will test on my
Ubuntu 9.10 64 bits VirtualBox system and see what happens.

Benoît Minisini