[Gambas-user] Draw.Text problem with control chars

Mon Feb 1 13:10:36 CET 2010

Kadaitcha Man ha scritto:

> Tab columns can be any width. A tab column can be 2 or 20 characters.
> Seeing as a terminal is nominally 80 characters wide, each tab column
> is 8 spaces apart, giving 10 tab columns.
>
> That each tab column is 8 spaces apart in a terminal does not imply
> that "A tab width is normally eight spaces." It just so happens that
> that is default for a terminal, chosen by the developers, a default
> that can be changed using setterm -tabs
>
> By your own logic, if a document is 120 characters wide and has two
> tab columns then you'd have to claim a tab was 60 characters wide.
>
> There is no correspondence between a tab and the number of spaces it
> naturally consumes. The number of spaces a tab should rightly consume
> is entirely dependent on the visual characteristics. That is why
> Gambas has a default of less than 8 spaces for a tab, otherwise the
> code would look ridiculous.

So the linux kernel sources should look ridicolous...
Anyway, as normal, I think we understood each other. Probably we are
saying the same thing.

>> BTW2: where do you live, if you care? Just my curiosity...
>>

> I'm an Aussie living in Indonesia.

I really don't know why, I would have bet you lived in Australia, or
something like that.
So, when I wake up, you are going to sleep - and vice-versa. This could
explain our opposed minds... :-)

>> it helps me to imagine a real person behind these emails.
>>

> I'm not real.

Uhm... artificial intelligence I suppose... keep on the good work, there
is still space for some improvement... :-)

Regards, and good night (just now, here, a beautiful sun and -7° degrees...)

Doriano.