[Gambas-user] Draw.Text problem with control chars

Mon Feb 1 10:37:31 CET 2010

>>> www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/268538/tab-versus-space-indentation-in-c
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/119562/tabs-versus-spaces-in-python-programming
>>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_is_a_tab
>>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_and_how_do_you_indent_to_begin_a_paragraph
>>> http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-49/mail-archive/msg00000.html
>>>
>> Open a console, type "cat" followed by enter. Press the tab key and look
>> where the cursor goes.
>>

> lol - they are tab columns, not tabs.

I really don't understand you. I went to read your "cites". From
wikipedia (your first link):

> unclear if any popular printers implemented this. Instead it was
> rather quickly replaced with fixed tab stops, at every multiple of 8
> characters horizontally and every 6 lines vertically, so they simply
> became a form of data compression,
 From your second link:
> On defaultly-configured Unix systems, and on ancient dumb terminals
> and teletypes, the tradition has been for the TAB character to mean
> ``move to the right until the current column is a multiple of 8.'' (As
> it happens, this is how Netscape interprets TAB inside <PRE> as well.)
> This is also the default in the two most popular Unix editors, Emacs
> and vi.
 From your last link:
> The draft reads:
>
>     For this proposal, a TAB should be counted as exactly four spaces.
>
> That is wrong. TAB is worth 8 spaces if anything. Anyway, mixing tabs

So, while it is true that someone else prefers 4 spaces, or 5, or
whatever, there is a lot of people, and history, that say that a tab is
eight spaces wide. Therefore, I am not "completely wrong". Moreover, you
still confuse tabulators with indentation, which is traditionally matter
of religious war; but, staying there, even Linux Torwalds says
"indentation is 8 characters" (read, man, read...).

You have an exquisite understanding of english, but perhaps lack the
understanding of concepts; more likely, you simply read too fast.

BTW, I wrote to you privately some days ago - did you receive my email?
BTW2: where do you live, if you care? Just my curiosity... it helps me
to imagine a real person behind these emails.

Regards,
Doriano