[Gambas-user] First look at Gambas 3

Michael mdavies5 at ...169...
Sun Dec 5 01:33:55 CET 2010

Hi Benoit,
Sorry to bother you again. I have installed QtConfig and found I could
change my default 'Background' color, which I did to HD3DFEB. This then
appeared in my Gambas3 color dialog but the behaviour is very different
with QT4 and GTK components. This explains my earlier problem with
different color palettes for Gambas 2 and 3. I am guessing that QT
configures itself to the system palette at the time of installation and
does not reconfigure when your theme is changed. Hence the need for
QTConfig.
The other thing I discovered is that, if you change the system colors in
the QT color dialog then they only work for QT components. GTK
components will use the OS color scheme unless you specify a Custom
color in the color dialog.
SO I understand how it works and can work around any problems.
Perhaps, as a newcomer to Gambas, you can explain why we have GTK and QT
libraries as they seem to duplicate each other. Is it just personal
choice? I used QT in Gambas 2 as I needed the Printer object but I
switched to GTK in Gambas3.
Regards
Michael