[Gambas-user] gb.image: image alpha channel accessibility

kevinfishburne kevinfishburne at ...1887...
Thu Aug 12 03:10:25 CEST 2010

Benoît Minisini wrote:

> I'm not sure to really understand. Would you make some images for me?

It took me a while to hand make this in GIMP, but here's the idea:

http://www.eightvirtues.com/misc/alpha_stuff.xcf

There are eight tiles that use only alpha (ten if you include fully opaque
and fully transparent), which are applied to a larger texture to make parts
of it transparent to expose the underlying layers. In the GIMP file the
eight tiles' alpha channels have been applied to the grass layer,
effectively removing the undesired parts of it to expose the sand layer.

Basically, copying only the alpha channel of an image to the alpha channel
of another image opens up all kinds of graphical possibilities. The alpha
channel is one of the few things that can make 2D graphics look great,
whether used normally or creatively.

-----
Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...1887... sales at ...1887...
phone: (770) 853-6271