[Gambas-user] gb.image: image alpha channel accessibility

kevinfishburne kevinfishburne at ...1887...
Thu Aug 12 00:30:25 CEST 2010

I'm writing a game and am exploring my graphical options using gb.image.
While it's not hardware accelerated, it's easier to get into than OpenGL and
the SDL component seems to be missing key features such as image rotation.
The various filter/effect methods also offer a huge range of possibilities,
CPU speed permitting.

The GAMBAS documentation states that images in gb.image are treated as
read/write arrays, which I'm assuming means that they're allocated in memory
similarly and that their elements are accessed similarly. .Load, .Copy and
.Draw operate on the alpha channel and RGB channel together, but I don't see
any way to read or write to an image's alpha channel exclusively. Is this
possible, and if so, how?

If the only available method is something like getting the pointer to where
the image is stored in memory and accessing it one pixel at a time, it might
be a good idea to expand the existing gb.image methods to include performing
operations specifically on the alpha channel. This could also be
accomplished by allowing all the existing methods to work directly on the
alpha channel, such as .Copy and .Draw.

As always, any ideas or reflections are appreciated.

-----
Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
www:  http://sales.eightvirtues.com http://sales.eightvirtues.com
e-mail:  mailto:sales at ...1887... sales at ...1887...
phone: (770) 853-6271