[Gambas-user] "User components" replaced by "Libraries" in Gambas 3

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Apr 25 18:50:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

In the last revision, I added the implementation of "libraries" in Gambas 3.
That libraries completely replace the "user components" concept of Gambas 2.

How does it work?

You have a new tab named "libraries" in the IDE project property dialog. In
that tab, you can define a list of gambas executables (*.gambas files) that
will be used as libraries.

When adding a library to a project, the IDE will extract from it all the
information needed for the automatic completion, as for the normal components.

These libraries will be loaded at program startup by the interpreter exactly
like any component written in Gambas.

When your project in run in debugging mode, i.e. from the IDE, the libraries
are located by using the absolute path specified in the project property
dialog.

But when running the project normally, the library is searched in the
following directory only:
- The same directory as the project.
- /usr/bin
- /bin

So, a Gambas executable that must act as a library for another program must be
installed in /bin, /usr/bin, or in the same directory as the program using it.

Now I'm waiting for your comments about this new feature!

Benoît Minisini