[Gambas-user] EOF problem

Les Hardy les at ...2337...
Sun Apr 18 21:11:29 CEST 2010

Doriano Blengino wrote:
> Les Hardy ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Ed,
>> I figured it out.
>> First of all, depending how the text file was emptied/created, the
>> contents may not be truely empty.
>> Gedit for example leaves the 0A (end-of-line) character in the 'empty'
>> file. This is recognised by eof() as a character, so, end-of-file is not
>> found.
>> I am not sure if this can be considered a bug in Gambas, but it does
>> mean an eof() is only good for preventing read errors, and is not
>> reliable for testing if a file is empty.
>>

> Just breaking in to say that a file with a EOL in it is not an empty
> file - it is a file with an empty line in it...
> Given such a file, at first EOF is false; doing a LINE INPUT an empty
> line is read, then EOF turns true. Or, at least, it should go this way.
>
> Regards,

Your correct, I agree completely, but the original code Ed supplied, '
IF Eof(tfile) ' cannot work , as it checks eof before a read.
When I saw he was using eof() that way, and knowing empty files are not
always empty, I thought I had found his problem, so I just added a bit
of code that should have got around it.

I am sure you will agree, that, whatever other problems he may have,  he
needs not to use eof() the way he is.

Regards
Les Hardy