[Gambas-user] Parallel Port

Les Hardy les at ...2337...
Thu Apr 8 18:04:36 CEST 2010

Hi there, I don't have a program to offer you. All my old code is in
other languages.
I did however write a little working example for you.
You will need to use port, not parport0.
For some reason that is unknown to me, I too, am unable to get parport
to work correctly from gambas.

I tested the code below, and it does work. I ran it a few times on a
system with Ubuntu 9.04, gambas 2.20, and a little parallel port tester
I made 20 years ago.

Unless you have already sorted out permission to access 'port', you will
need to be root to run it, either start gambas as root, or compile it
and then run the executable as root.

PUBLIC SUB Main()
' Gambas module file
DIM pport AS File
DIM bi, bo AS Byte

pport = OPEN "/dev/port" FOR READ WRITE

FOR bo = 32 TO 122
  SEEK #pport, 888
  WRITE #pport, bo
  SEEK #pport, 888
  READ #pport, bi
  PRINT Chr(bi) & " "
  WAIT 0.05
NEXT
 CLOSE #pport

END

Just a quick mention about seek on ports.
Seek simply takes you to the port address. Notice I used a seek before
each read or write.

888  (0x378): Data
889  (0x379): Status
890  0x37A) : Control