[Gambas-user] How to sent a line line to a lp1 printer and form to lp0 printer directly.

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at ...626...
Thu Sep 24 13:45:55 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Vassilis K <vkan53 at ...2300...> wrote:
> Thank you all for your help.
>
> I have tried the following printing SUB:
>
> PUBLIC SUB bEktiposi_Click()
>        DIM hPrinter AS Printer
>        DIM hFile AS File
>        hPrinter = OPEN "dev/lp1" FOR OUTPUT
>        hPrinter.EndOfLine = gb.Windows
>        PRINT #hFile, "test a line: ";
>        CLOSE hPrinter
> END
>
> It is compiled but it stops when bEtiposi Button is clicked
> at line :
> hPrinter = OPEN "dev/lp1" FOR OUTPUT
> with the message:
> " Access Forbidden. "
>
> I have tried to print from terminal with commands
> echo -e "Hello World\r" > /dev/lp1
> cat /etc/passwd > /dev/lp1
> They have both worked only with root terminal.
>
> First question:
> How exactly can I put echo into SHELL command of Gambas?

an example of: echo "This is a test" >> /var/log/messages

  DIM varCommand AS String
  DIM varProcess AS Process

 varCommand = "echo \"This is a test\" >> /var/log/messages"
 varProcess = SHELL varCommand WAIT

but you need root privileges to write to /var/log/messages

> Second question:
> I suppose that's the reason why the routine OPEN "dev/lp1" .... is not
> working. It needs root privileges!
> Is there any other way to setup the printer /dev/lp1 in order to work with
> simple user privileges?

users can use the command lpr to send files for printing

see manual of lpr with man lpr

also the command

echo "This is a test" > /dev/lp0

is the same with

echo "This is a test" | lpr

or

echo "This is a test" | lpr -P PrinterName

where PrinterName is your printer's name

May be you must use lpr instead sending strings/files to /dev/lp0 directly