[Gambas-user] GAMBAS crash when setting columnview's Sorted property

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Sep 18 18:56:19 CEST 2009

> Bugzilla from gambas at ...1... wrote:
> > I fixed the bug in revision #2337. It was not 64 bits related at all.
>
> Thanks. I'm assuming revision #2337 is in the 2.x development branch, as I
> just compiled and ran 2.16.0 and it has the same problem. Looks like it was
> GTK-related, as using gb.qt works fine under 2.16.0 but gb.gtk doesn't.
>
> Bugzilla from gambas at ...1... wrote:
> > If you want to show a lot of data in columns, I suggest using a GridView
> > for
> > that. Sorted view controls are very slow in GTK+, even if I hack a lot to
> > workaround the problem.
>
> I'd like to use the gridview, but it doesn't appear to have integrated
> sorting capabilities.

If your data comes from a SQL query, you can redo the query with a different
"ORDER BY" SQL clause.

If your query returns a lot of data, just return what you need by using the
Limit() method ( or the "LIMIT" SQL keyword).

The DataView control of gb.db.form just does all that. It only fetches 64
records of a query, and does its sorting by using "ORDER BY". It works well
even if there is Internet between the computer and the database.

> If I used that then I'd be coding sorting algorithms
> myself and getting all kinds of headaches. ;) For now I'm going to switch
>  to gb.qt and redo my form's colors since they look all crazy under gb.qt
>  in Ubuntu.

What's the problem with the form colors? They should not change if you switch
between gb.qt and gb.gtk.

Benoît Minisini