[Gambas-user] Concept of containers

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Tue Sep 15 23:28:30 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 06:33:37 M. Cs. wrote:
> I don't understand the concept of containers. When I want to create a UI
> which would proportionally change its size (e.g. when I double the size of
> the form, every item doubles its size), do I have to cover all the area of
> form with panels or vboxes (what's this?), and then to place the real stuff
> (buttons, labels, views etc.) inside them?
> What is the use of containers? Could someone explain me the concept?

Same concept, really simple but you will never learn this unless you do it
yourself - ie put the controls on the form, set the propertikkes and watch
what happends.

re-read this:

1) If you set the form arrangement to fill it will fill itself with whatever
the control is that you have stuck on the form.
2) If you put things withing a container stuck on a form like that, then the
properties of the container determine what happens to its children.

Play with them.

a VBox is a container who stacks its children vertically, ie if you put
button1,2,3,4 underneath each other in a vbox  they will be stacked on stop on
each other. How the buttons behave will depend on what  you do with their
properites of expand.

Richard