[Gambas-user] Gambas architecture

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Sep 14 21:58:49 CEST 2009

> Hi!
> I'm trying to get better knowledge how Gambas works.
> I'm not sure how to progress... any hints? Flow charts, etc.?
>
> I understand role of gbc, gba and how interpreters works generally.
> But why there is gbr and gbx?
> Is gbr for gambas executables, and gbx for non archived code?
>

> Jussi

Yes. gbr is just a symbolic link to gbx. It allows to run the interpreter in
"archive mode" without having to pass an extra argument.

This is needed when putting the magic string "#!/usr/bin/env gbr<X>" on top of
the executable file, because you can pass only one argument on this line,
which is the name of the program when using "env".

In other words "gbr" is an hack to workaround a Unix limitation^W feature.

Benoît Minisini