[Gambas-user] Is it a bug or a "feature"?

Aleksandrs Livshics aleks.l at ...1865...
Mon Sep 14 21:54:25 CEST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 21:59:06 Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Sorry, my joke didn't work! :-/
>
> I meant that AFAIK, Draw.Ellipse() didn't change at all since the
> beginning. It always took the coordinates of the rectangle surrounding it.
Benoit,
I cannot believe in that because I have upgraded my version 2 days ago
and my screen shows a different picture running the same code.
Also in the Gambas book of J.W.Rittinghouse (which is not perfect) I can read
about Draw.Ellipse( arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4) where arg1 and arg2 are
coordinates of a center but arg3 and arg4 are to set the horizontal
and vertical width. And this is logical. If one wants to draw several
ellipses changing their size around the same center he/she can change
only arg3 and arg4. But as it is implemented now the arguments would look
like:

Draw.Ellipse( X_centre-X_width/2, Y_centre-Y_width/2, X_width, Y_width)

Which looks very artificial. For me however important is to know whether
this convention will be kept unchanged in the future and I think it should be
documented as it is not intuitive.

On the other subject... Some time ago I wrote to you about the ValueBox
and "scientifick notation" for numbers. I have found that even at present
it is possible to show values in this notation (it is automatically used) if
the value is very-very small or too big. Like 1.0E-30. This makes it even more
illogical that such a number, which can be displayed if supplied in the code,
and so is absolutely legitimate, cannot be entered by the user. This is an
argument against making another special ValueBoxScientifick but rather
for changing the existing control. Though of course It is always possible
to use a TextBox and to program the necessary checks and transformations.
Regards Aleks