[Gambas-user] Profiler for Gambas projects

Fri Sep 11 17:32:21 CEST 2009

Hi all!
I hope I'm not talking pure non-sense about this, but lets try...
I was thinking about possibility to make profiler for Gambas projects.
I readed wikipedia article about profilers (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiler_(computer_science)#Statistical_profilers
),
and I think statistical profiler would be possible solution. I really
don't know for sure.
If interpreter could put out time and address in bytecode, then it
would be possible to do statistical analyze about running gambas
project.
(maybe there is problem to translate bytecode address to line of source code..?)

Would be nice if interpreter could be compiled with optionally to act
like profiler or normal interpreter (then no performance penalty).
I think that would be possible with preprocessor conditionals..?

If I'm correct, then only thing left to do is GUI for the data, and
that could be written with Gambas.
Comments?

I think profiler is important feature, and I hope we can find other
solution than just manual instrumentation... yes I actually do that.

Jussi