[Gambas-user] Missing feature?

Kad Mann nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...
Sun Oct 18 22:53:23 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 17:53 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > TextBoxes and Labels have an alignment property but DataControls do not.
> >
> > Is that by design? Are there plans to change it?
> >
> > Is there a workaround to allow the alignment of a DataControl, apart
> > from hiding the DataControls and mirroring the data in a TextBox?
> >

> Not really, not really. But it should be not really difficult to add it.
>
> The idea behind DataControl is changing the actual control used according to
> the datatype of the field. So it just a matter of being careful that not all
> true controls used by DataControl support an Alignment property.
>
> If I remember, at the moment, Number are right aligned, and other data left
> aligned by default.

Ok, thanks. I'll put it down as a limitation :)

> > Is there any way to set the foreground and background colours of a
> > disabled TextBox to something other than the almost unreadable colours
> > used in the default linux colour schemes?
> >
> > All suggestions, other than rude suggestions, are welcome.
> >

> Alas the behaviour of disabled controls mostly depends on the toolkit, the
> theme used, and the colours used in the control center for KDE.
>
> And if setting the background (or foreground) color of a control sets its
> colour both for normal and disabled mode, there will be no way for the user to
> see the difference between a normal and a disabled control, which is not a
> good thing.

I found a perfect workaround while I was working around the limitation
mentioned above. The TextArea control doesn't change the colour of text
when it is disabled. Instead of using the TextBox control to replace the
DataControls, which I need to align, I now use TextArea. It looks good,
like it should.

If TextArea isn't supposed to be like that, please don't fix it :)