[Gambas-user] make Label background from Database field

Sun Oct 18 10:47:21 CEST 2009

Kad Mann ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 09:08 +0200, Doriano Blengino wrote:
>
>> Kad Mann ha scritto:

>>> Why don't you take a look at the database example in Gambas?
>>>
>>> After creating the test table, if you type in an SQL command and click
>>> the run button, you will see a gridview with a myriad colours that can
>>> be changed based on the data. Surely something like that has to be
>>> easier than trying to work out how to manage a hundred labels on a
>>> screen, and surely it will offer you much better and easier control of
>>> future UI changes, and surely it will offer a more pleasing and
>>> intuitive presentation to your user.
>>>

>> "Surely something like that has to be easier" and "surely much better
>> and easier control".
>> Yes and no
>>

> I didn't ask you.

True, and neither Vassilis asked you something... you can't understand
him, but I can understand you. In one of your last mail you noticed that
data controls don't have all the properties as other textboxes, such
alignment and so on. Be prepared for other surprises. Everybody would
love to have controls with lots of properties in order to do everything
you want, but this is impossible (can you believe it? Once you have put
100 properties in a control, you will find someone asking for the #101).
Real programmers prefer to do things their way, with few versatile
mechanisms. The more a component gets complicated, the less people
understand it; just now, many problems arise from the fact that people
don't read documentation, and even when they do, they don't notice some
important feature; and often that feature is not exactly you need.

To Vassilis: I don't know what more to say about your problem. Better to
wait for Benoit.

Regards to all,

--
Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."