[Gambas-user] PING > Benoit - GUI Programming Productivity Feature Request

nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626... nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...
Mon Nov 23 23:38:13 CET 2009

Benoit,

The Gambas programming environment would offer a major productivity boost to
developers if code Bookmarks were supported in the text editor.

Using my own situation as an example, where I am porting a Windows app that
has 300+ classes and close to 120,000 lines of code, it is next to
impossible to find related code when one is making a significant change.

As an example, I might put a break point in the code and use the debug
backtrace to walk my way back through the code looking for code parts that
may be affected by my proposed change. Alternatively I might put an early
break point in and forward trace the code by using debug stepping. In both
cases I currently have to put manual comments in that are coded in a way so
that they can be searched or I have to write down the references then go
looking for them again when I'm ready to make the change, and that just
takes up an awful lot of time that could otherwise be avoided by support for
bookmarks.

Even on a small project, having no support for bookmarks means you can't set
visual clues in your code, so even when you're trying to find something
simple you still have to continually scan the code by eye to find the exact
spot you know was there earlier.

What would it take to convince you to consider implementing such a feature?

Of course, the book marks would need to be saved so that they are available
the next time the project is opened in the development environment.

Wine? Women? Song? Money? Or commonsense?

:)