[Gambas-user] Licensing problems in Gambas

Werner wdahn at ...1000...
Thu Nov 19 18:16:09 CET 2009

On 20/11/09 00:54, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> On Thursday 19 November 2009 07:09 am, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>>
>>> There are two licensing problems in Gambas that must be solved.
>>> 1) The first one should not be difficult: we must find a license for the
>>> gambas wiki documentation that makes it free. I need suggestions...
>>>
>> Wikipedia uses the GNU FDL, and of course there are the various Creative
>> Commons licenses that are better suited to documentation than programs.
>>
> It is difficult to determine the attribution of each page. By reading the page
> history, you can know all users that modified something on a specific page.
> But sometimes it is an error, so you cannot automate the process.
>
> I suggest the following:
>
> - Using the GNU FDL, as it is used by Wikipedia.
>
> - All users having a write access to the wiki will be considered as an author.
>
> Now I think all wiki users should tell if he agrees with the license. Or maybe
> should we fix a date in the future, and if nobody explicitely disagrees until
> that date, we apply the license. Because I'm not sure that all wiki users do
> modify it.

If you want a date, it should be in the near future, (months max). If
someone disagrees, that person is free to remove their entries.
Then, the wiki editor should have a text on the top that says that if a
user commits an entry it means acceptance to the xxx license (IANAL).