[Gambas-user] tags

Sat Nov 14 21:18:07 CET 2009

Jean-Yves F. Barbier ha scritto:
> Doriano Blengino a écrit :
>

>> identifiers. This wastes a lot of CPU cycles, because the interpreter
>> must scan all pool of objects to find them. In other words, python is
>> *slow*. Good to explain concepts, but in practical, heavy applications
>>

> Yeah, I agree; it is easy to see that on my old C2.4GHz

Your old blah blah 4Ghz? I am using a Duron 900... :-))

>> issue. Most of the time the compiler (pascal, or C) catches all my
>> typing errors, and the rest is ok. But if the compiler does not catch
>>

> well, that doesn't prevent mallocs missing...

Nobody wants the impossible... but at least what *is* possible...
Anyway, the majority of my code is for small CPUs (with 128 bytes of ram
there is not so much malloc() you can do...).
And on PCs, gambas manages memory perfectly (or so it seems), without
having to pay for source inconsistencies. True, there is no malloc() in
gambas: who needs it?

>> errors, you are never sure that your code is ok. I am already critic
>> with some constructs that gambas does not check enough (for me) - so I
>> really can't stand with less rigid languages.
>>

> there should be 2 modes: regular (work as of now, useful when you just have
> one proc to test, even if syntax doesn't match for similar things) and strict
> (check every detail).

I can't see two modes for this. My best thought about compilers is the
Borland Delphi 3 pascal compiler. It compiled something 4000 lines per
second on pentium II, which means that for an average project you didn't
even notice the compiling time. And I never found a bug in the compiler,
or language. Up to now, I didn't find something so fast, solid,
reliable. But I leaved the windows world, so I must adapt myself to
something else.

>> Just a simple opinion. I think that if you investigate well your needs,
>> you will find a clean and effective way to solve with gambas.
>>

> this is the "problem": I learn it while making my pgm.

And this is the best way to learn - when you have a problem to solve.

But back to your problem: why you talked about the Tag property? It
seems to me that that does not gets in so much?

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."