[Gambas-user] tags

Sat Nov 14 20:25:38 CET 2009

Jean-Yves F. Barbier ha scritto:
> Fabien Bodard a écrit :
>
>> the same  but with a collection to share the result
>>

> the access is also *very* easy:
>
> 	>>> o = Storage(a=1)
>         >>> o.a
>         1
>         >>> o['a']
>         1
>         >>> o.a = 2
>         >>> o['a']
>         2
>         >>> del o.a
>         >>> o.a
>         None

You can do the same in gambas, using Object[] or Collection, and
creating a class for every kind of record.
Unfortunately I don't know them enough to explain to you. But I can
spend two words about python and ruby, and in general these "agile"
languages. They are very handy, but also two problems arise. The first
is that, in your example, if you write "o.a", where "o" and "a" are two
identifiers (because they are not surrounded by apices or quotes), they
don't resolve to two fixed address in memory - so they are no more
identifiers. This wastes a lot of CPU cycles, because the interpreter
must scan all pool of objects to find them. In other words, python is
*slow*. Good to explain concepts, but in practical, heavy applications
it is a pain. We can compare two programming IDEs: gambas and some other
written in python (Boa? or others I can't remember...). On my machine,
they simply suck - when gambas is quick and responsive. And think that
an IDE is not a particulary heavy application.

The second problem is that, I think, they don't check enough at compile
time (because they can't). For me, coming from pascal, this is a big
issue. Most of the time the compiler (pascal, or C) catches all my
typing errors, and the rest is ok. But if the compiler does not catch
errors, you are never sure that your code is ok. I am already critic
with some constructs that gambas does not check enough (for me) - so I
really can't stand with less rigid languages.

Just a simple opinion. I think that if you investigate well your needs,
you will find a clean and effective way to solve with gambas.

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."