[Gambas-user] We should offer online Gambas courses!

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Tue Mar 31 22:41:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 06:09:41 am Charlie Reinl wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 31.03.2009, 11:46 +0200 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> > > I am not saying people should charge for tutorials, I am saying that it
> > > would not be unreasonable if they did. Benoit has done a momentous
> > > amount of work in creating Gambas.  ANd Richard's idea about annodated
> > > code is a great one- except for one flaw.
> > >
> > > That flaw is for the beginner without a systematic method of learning
> > > the language the odds are stacked against him /her.
> > >
> > > But like I said earlier why not have both?
> > >
> > > SOme people can see an example and go OH that's how it works- and
> > > others need more help.  Good example: Algebra why can't kids just look
> > > at the example and understand it?   Even when the example has comments
> > > the children have a hard time following- but with guided instruction
> > > and guided questions and answers then child is more likely to
> > > understand the math.
> > >
> > > Same works for adults not everyone does well solo with a textbook.
> > >
> > > Plus another problem is when people just cut and paste code without
> > > knowing what all the code is for becuase they are told it does x but in
> > > reality it does xyz.
> > >
> > > As far as more work for Benoit I am trying to come up with a way to
> > > lighten the load. :)
> > >
> > > I rreally do understand what you are saying, but I think people are
> > > thinking I a looking to replace a current method.  I am not I want to
> > > another resource to the same methods. For the dummies like my self.
> > >
> > > JB

> > Would it be possible to have both solutions? I mean:
> >
> > 1) A web site to enter well-commented and well-written pieces of code,
> > tagged so that searching is easy.
> >
> > 2) An http interface so that the IDE can use these pieces of code as
> > project examples automatically.
> >
> > We must have two types of examples. A full Gambas project that will be
> > used as is by the IDE, or a little piece of code inside one Form, or a
> > Module. Then the IDE will create a temporary project to open it.
> >
> > Guys, what do you think about that?
>
> Salut,
>
> and what is, if you don't have no easy Internet-Access at home?

I really really agree. I live in the middle of a biggist city (Newastle NSW)
and there are 6 houses in my street that cannot get ADSL, and even my mobile
phone dosn't work properly in the house. Wireless is very flakey and very
very expensive and I can't afford satellite, so yes, a downloadable
repository, integrated with the IDE.

Richard