[Gambas-user] GAMBAS IDE font/form size versus runtime font/form size

Sun Jun 21 10:16:54 CEST 2009

kevinfishburne ha scritto:
> I'm using GAMBAS 2.13 under Ubuntu 9.10 development branch and the GNOME
> desktop environment. I've noticed that the GAMBAS IDE ignores GNOME font
> sizes, but when I run a GAMBAS app it adheres to GNOME's font sizes,
> adjusting form and control sizes accordingly. I can't tell for certain but
> it appears that the GAMBAS IDE uses QT rather than GTK. My theory is that
> the GAMBAS IDE uses some hidden QT/KDE font size but that a running GAMBAS
> app uses whatever GUI/fonts correspond with the currently running desktop
> environment (in my case GNOME). Is that what is happening?
>
> My basic problem is that the GAMBAS IDE form and font sizes do not match the
> form and font sizes of a running GAMBAS app. To workaround this I have to
> set the "application font" size to 8 instead of 10 in GNOME, which then
> affects every other app as well. Is it possible to adjust GAMBAS, QT, or
> KDE's font sizes so that the GAMBAS IDE will more closely match the GAMBAS
> app running in GNOME?

The Gambas IDE uses QT, but your program can use QT _or_ GTK.

In the project options/components you can tell your program to use QT,
GTK, or "test if KDE is running and, if so, use QT; otherwise use GTK"
(gb.gui).
This wide choice is really pretty but, as always, every choice comes
along with dark sides... if you force your program to use QT, then you
solve your problem for your machine, but your program will not run on
machines without QT.

KDE claims to be able to apply its settings even on non-kde programs,
and indeed this is true at least in part, but this is a little
uncertain. You could switch to KDE...  but I know this is probably a bad
solution.

I had similar problems, and resorted to set the Scaled property to
false. This can work, only partly, and only if you let the user choose
the standard font for the application and save it as a preference.

The better solution, unfortunately not available at the moment, would be
to have the Gambas IDE adapt itself to the current environment, just
like its generated programs do: the gambas IDE is a gambas application,
at the end. But it uses components which are not available in GTK.
You could take the IDE source, and modify it to suite your needs. Not
easy...

Perhaps there is a wrong concept in your base idea... the best would be
to let the system choose font sizes and control dimensions, because you
don't know in advance what resolution and font size your users will
have. But this idea does not work very well, not even in famous and big
programs. And perhaps, you are the only user of your programs.

Probably I didn't reply to your question, but instead I added more
doubts to yours. This is a really complicated matter.

Hope anyway these infos can come handy - regards,

--
Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."