[Gambas-user] Problem with Byte datatype ?

Dominique SIMONART simonart.dominique at ...11...
Thu Jan 29 21:38:59 CET 2009

Hi evererybody,

If I code the few lines showed below:

DIM X AS Byte
DIM Texte AS String[64]

  X = &h2E
  X += &hE0
  TextBox1.Text = Hex(X)
  Texte[X] = Hex(X)

I get '10E' displayed. Is this correct for a byte?
If you put a breakpoint on the TextBox1 line, the local variables show X
value as 14 (&h0E) which is correct.
and the last line ends wit an 'out of bounds' message.

(as a workaround, I actually insert a' X = X MOD 256' instruction just
before the last line)

If you wonder why the hell I've to use bytes, I'm working on a memory
capture of an Amiga program ("Captive") running inside the emulator WinUAE.
In those old days (twenty years ago), memory was 0.0005 Gb and byte
usage was quite common!
and more, the memory byte order was not compatible with the actual PC so
you have to read memory byte by byte to restore the Amiga organisation

regards,
Dominique Simonart