[Gambas-user] Broken dependencies in Ubuntu 8.04 packages

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Jan 29 02:09:37 CET 2009

On jeudi 29 janvier 2009, Rob wrote:
> In both the official 2.0.0 and gnulinex.org 2.8.2 packages for Ubuntu
> Hardy, the gambas2-gb-db package requires gambas2-gb-form and
> gambas2-gb-qt-ext, which requires X to be installed among many other
> things.  So it's not possible to install Gambas with database support on a
> headless Ubuntu web server (like the replacement for the old one currently
> running gambasdoc.org.)
>
> Also, though I don't know if this is normal, gambas2-gb-gui requires both
> gambas2-gb-qt and gambas2-gb-gtk, which seems like it defeats the whole
> purpose of the gb.gui component (I would think gb.gtk and gb.qt would be
> alternatives rather than both required.)  Finally, gambas2-runtime itself
> requires xdg-utils, which should only be necessary for gambas2-gb-desktop
> if I'm not mistaken.
>
> I don't have an 8.04 workstation around anymore to build on; all my Ubuntu
> machines are 8.10 at present except for that one server (which has to be
> 8.04 due to LTS.)  I attached what I think is a fixed debian/control file.
> Could someone with access rebuild the Hardy 2.8.2 packages with it?  I'll
> try to get Hardy installed on a workstation so I can rebuild them if no
> one else has time.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Maybe it was not clear in the "how to package Gambas" page on the wiki.

Components packages depends on no other components, because component
dependencies are managed by the IDE.

If a packager really wants to enforce dependencies between components
packages, it should rely on the contents of the *.component files, which
lists all dependencies of a component.

There are four keys related to dependencies in these files:

- "Requires=" which lists the dependencies on other components.

- "Excludes=" which lists components that are not compatible with the current
one. No component uses it at the moment.

- "Implements=" which lists features provided by a component.

- "Needs=" which lists the dependencies on features.

For example, the gb.gui component implements the following features:
Form,EventLoop,ImageProvider. But it has no dependencies, so I don't know
where the dependencies specified in the debian/ubuntu packages come from.

Moreover, I don't know if these four kinds of dependencies can all be
implemented in debian or rpm packages.

So the easier is not specifying dependencies on other component packages. Only
the dependencies on libraries used by the component.

As for xdg-utils, gambas2-runtime uses it to install gambas mime files.

Benoit Minisini