[Gambas-user] Gambas is slower than Python??

birchy pokerbirch at ...1601...
Sun Jan 18 02:32:04 CET 2009

Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Can you show us the code in Python? Maybe it will help me to find
> something
> that could be enhanced in Gambas if Python can do better? :-)

Ok, i think the bottleneck is related to the function call overhead:

GAMBAS: wrote:

> PUBLIC SUB Main()
>   DIM i AS Integer, t AS Float, s AS String
>
>   t = Timer
>   FOR i = 0 TO 999999
>     s = Scan("QWERTYUIOP", "*WE*IO*")[1]
>   NEXT
>   PRINT Timer - t
> END

Both of these run significantly faster when put in-line but Python is still
~33% faster. Perhaps you could add a new string function to achieve this as
it is VERY useful, yet rarely (if ever) seen in other languages?