[Gambas-user] Gambas is slower than Python??

birchy pokerbirch at ...1601...
Sun Jan 18 01:04:36 CET 2009

Gareth Bult-3 wrote:
> Both Python and Gambas compile to pseudo code and run through an
> interpreter .. so essentially they are the same in terms of the
> performance one might expect.
My mistake, i assumed that Gambas was an optimizing compiler like VB6. I'm
actually quite disappointed with the PYTHON version as it is about 10x
slower than it is in VB6.

Gareth Bult-3 wrote:
> However, modifying the split function to read;
>   Return Scan(doc, "*WE*IO*")[1]
>
> Reduces this to ~ 1.4s.

Approx 2.9sec on my machine.

To be honest, i hadn't realised that gambas did not actually "compile" code
through an optimized compiler, so that explains why it is not about 50x
faster than Python (as expected). My current project uses the Curl library
and PyCurl is much more configurable than Gambas's Curl component
(HttpClient). I may also require running my app from a dedicated server in
the future, so for THIS particular job, Python seems to be the best tool.

If i need more speed, i'll drop to C++. I know that i could use Regex but i
find it very unreadable and difficult to maintain and am basically too lazy
to learn it.
:)