[Gambas-user] qt going lgpl

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Jan 15 00:04:35 CET 2009

On mercredi 14 janvier 2009, Frank Cox wrote:
> It appears that qt is to be licensed as lgpl:
>
> http://www.qtsoftware.com/about/licensing/frequently-asked-questions
>
> Does this meant that commercial closed-source applications can now be
> developed with Gambas using QT?  (I think you could do that using GTK
> before now.)

I don't think so, as the licence is changed only from the QT 4.5 version
AFAIK.

The QT4 component in the /trunk is experimental and has many problems: color
management has changed in QT4, so colors are incorrect ; some things do not
display correctly yet ; and on my NVIDIA, QT4 is far slower than QT3, even if
double-buffering is disabled. For example, moving the side panels in the IDE
becomes slow as hell. By disabling double-buffering, I noticed a lot of
useless drawing made by QT 4.4. Maybe these things will be better with QT
4.5 ? The latest beta driver of NVIDIA fixes some problems, but introduce new
bugs according to their forum, and I'm not sure that it's NVIDIA fault there
as the IDE keeps being slow (more than with GTK+ if you can imagine) even if
XRENDER is disabled.

--
Benoit Minisini