[Gambas-user] Gambas SVN download/compile

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jan 11 19:26:26 CET 2009

On dimanche 11 janvier 2009, Jason Hackney wrote:
> On the off chance that someone other than myself would like to automate
> downloading the source from SVN and compiling, I've attached a bash script
> that does it for Ubuntu 8.10. I have had to do it a number of times in the
> past couple days so I figured I'd put together a relatively crude script.
>
> Some notes:
>
> -) It's based heavily on this page:
> http://gambasdoc.org/help/install/ubuntu?show by Gareth Bult.
>
> -) I am doing this on an ASUS Eee PC running the latest eeebuntu (standard
> edition).
>
> -) The script automatically downloads (and downgrades) a correct libtool
> package for 32-bit systems.
>
> -) I did't get too enchanted with trapping errors and such (I just needed
> something that worked)
>
> -) You will have to edit the HOMEDIR variable to reflect your home
> directory.
>
> -) Finally, make sure you run the script as superuser.
>
> I'm open to suggestions for making it better if anyone finds it
> interesting.
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

You shouldn't have to be root to run the script. Only the "make install" must
be run by root, this way:

# su -c "make install"

Or on Ubuntu you can use "sudo" too.

This way, you don't have to specify the HOME dir, just use "~". Or let the
user specify the directory of the local version of /trunk.

Benoit Minisini