[Gambas-user] help with data import into postgres - funny characters> import fails

Robert Moss the.at.robert at ...626...
Fri Feb 27 05:11:09 CET 2009

Is the error a Gambas error or a Postgres error? It might be they are using
a charset with special keys spefic to their industry, which might indicate
more data, or, more likely, the data is errorenous and got bit-shifted, and
now, the high-order bit might be too large to be part of the UTF-8 charset.
I would see if you can get the binary/hex of those keys, and shift the bits
each way by one, (try two also), and then if one of them makes sense, you
know its a communication error (that got uncorrected??? doesn't sound like
TCP).

Since you've never encountered these characters, the most likely scenario is
data corruption. Try to correct it with a bitshift, and if that works, write
code to search for high-order bits that are incorrect, and shift the
sequence appropriately.

Let me know what you think ^_^

-Robert